Welcome to the old website for
Celtic Knot Crochet -


Everything that was here plus oodles of NEW content including more Celtic Knot designs, FREE crochet patterns, links to video tutorials and MORE! has now moved to:




www.celticknotcrochet.com




Please popover and visit us there!
Thanks for stopping by.

Friday, November 18, 2016

Thankfulness again . . .

"Start every day with a grateful heart"

I saw this saying on a plaque at Hobby Lobby this week - it is simple but not always easy to do.
There is so much to be thankful for and I find if I start my day reflecting on those blessings, I do have a better attitude and can handle the upcoming challenges with much more grace and patience.

As I reflect on what I am thankful for, I think of my friend, Bonnie Barker - she has been a special friend to me since we met several years ago at a CGOA professional development day.  We sat next to each other and while I took notes on the speaker, Bonnie crocheted a beautiful square motif complete with intricate braided cables!  I was impressed that she did it so quickly and without a pattern.  Now I understand why she was able to do that - she has been working with crocheted cables for years making all kinds of beautiful combinations and projects.

Bonnie and I have been able to keep in touch through email and I have greatly appreciated her encouragement and support as I home school my children. (She is a veteran home school mom of five children!)  She also has provided understanding and camaraderie as we both continue on our journey of crochet designing.  I love that we both also share a deep love for music and have even be able to perform together - I look forward to more opportunities like it in the future.

Well, Bonnie just published another book showcasing those 'beautiful combinations and projects' of crocheted cables and I have had the pleasure of perusing it and trying out a design.


You can purchase this book here on Amazon - you won't be disappointed!  Read on to see what I think of it and to see some photos of my favorite projects: 

(all photos courtesy of Bonnie Bay Crochet and Interweave Press)

I like how Bonnie included an introduction in the book that includes tips about yarn choices, figuring out the gauge and visiting her YouTube tutorials.  As you read it, you feel like you are sitting with Bonnie in her living room. 

The photography of each project is wonderful - The brick buildings and cobblestone streets make for a classy backdrop to each of Bonnie's creations.  I like how you can clearly see the cable stitches in the close-up photos. I also love all of the Celtic Knot details and graphics on each page.

A great addition to this book are the clear stitch diagrams that help you see how each cable stitch is laid out within the project.  The step-by-step photos (of how to crochet all of the stitches in the book) are excellent and I like how the stitch multiples are included.


Aranmore Sweater Wrap


This wrap has a creative construction and uniquely combines cables and lace.


Tic-Tac-Toe Bag
I love the clever use of the two cable stitches in an alternating pattern.


Vicki's Sweater

Bonnie's Celtic Weave stitch is one of my favorite stitches and it looks great at the top of this top- down sweater.


Binne Cardigan

This cardigan is very feminine  - I love the off-center opening and the way the cables provide a hint of a peplum along the back.



Emerald Celtic Weave Infinity Scarf

And here I love how the Celtic Weave stitch is front and center.  Such a lovely green color!

This is the project I made using the "Tidal" colorway in Red Heart Boutique "Unforgettable" - I used 2 skeins and made mine a little longer than the length stated in the book.


I recently wore my scarf and received many compliments on it.
If you've wanted to try crocheting cables but didn't know where to begin, then this is the place!










No comments:

Post a Comment