Welcome to the old website for
Celtic Knot Crochet -


Everything that was here plus oodles of NEW content including more Celtic Knot designs, FREE crochet patterns, links to video tutorials and MORE! has now moved to:




www.celticknotcrochet.com




Please popover and visit us there!
Thanks for stopping by.

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Because of 26 and Butterflies



I love butterflies. I enjoy photographing them. This one I saw on a bike ride last summer. They are such beautiful creatures.  Their transformation from caterpillar to flying artwork is amazing.  When the sun shines through their wings, they look like stained glass windows in the air.  Their symbolism of new life always reminds me of hope and freedom.

Today there is a special celebration taking place in Southington, CT to honor the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy.  There will be a special ceremony, butterfly bushes will be planted, a large mural will be unveiled, butterflies hatched from kits will be released and knitted & crocheted butterflies will be hung along a path in an outdoor yarn graffiti style.

When I heard about this from one of my crochet students (Celeste - thank you!), my daughters and I were glad to crochet a few butterflies to add to the festivities.

 
 
This is a pattern from "My Little City Girl" - it is a simple pattern with great results. We added a pom-pom head and pipe cleaner antenna.
 
 
This pattern is from a vintage booklet of butterfly crochet patterns.  The instructions call for size 10 crochet thread to be used but that would be small for a yarn bomb so I used Red Heart With Love yarn.  I liked the pineapple stitch shape of the wings.
 
 
And this butterfly my youngest created using a recycled plastic milk jug, yarn needle and several strands of acrylic yarn.  Since she cannot crochet yet, she enjoyed being able to contribute to the project in her own way.  I think it turned out great.
 
We will be thinking of Newtown  - the families and the entire community - that were affected and pray that this day brings them many hugs, smiles and hope. 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment